As we’ve announced earlier via email, the Emerson will be moving to Gmail as its new email platform this Summer. We are excited about this change and are confident that it is the right decision for Emerson students, faculty, and staff.
- Easier to access and share calendars
- Increased storage space
- Seamless integration with Google Apps (Docs, Sheets, etc.)
To answer some common questions, we have prepared a Q&A, available here: https://support.emerson.edu/hc/en-us/articles/115001511343
A few highlights:
- We will open access to your new Gmail mailbox on Friday, June 2nd and begin to migrate ALL of your existing email, calendar items, and contacts. When the migration is completed, you will work in Gmail from that point forward.
- All of your email, calendar, and contacts will be migrated for you to your new Google account.
- Your email address will remain the same.
- There will be training – sessions will be announced in an upcoming email.
- You will continue to be able to use Microsoft Outlook, but we are strongly recommending you use the www.gmail.com web interface, as Outlook has compatibility issues that will cause challenges (see the Q&A for more details).
- If you currently forward your email, you will have to set that up again in Gmail when your Microsoft Exchange account is disabled.
- Your @emerson.edu Gmail account is completely separate from any personal Gmail/Google account you may have. If you need to log into both inboxes at the same time, we recommend logging into both accounts in two separate browsers.
Stay tuned for more notifications throughout the month, as we announce trainings, provide more details about timeline, and more!
We hope you are as excited about the project as we are!