The Registrar’s Office is delighted to welcome you—or welcome you back—to Emerson for the Fall 2017 semester!
Whether you need to verify a student’s schedule, reserve a classroom, or grant a registration permission, we’re here to help. The Registrar website is a great resource where you can find policies, forms, academic calendars, and instructions. Learn how to view your class lists and office hours, use DegreeWorks, and much more.
Dates to Remember
- Wednesday, 9/6: First day of classes
- First week of classes, 9/6–9/12: All students may add and drop courses freely online
- Tuesday, 9/12: Last day to register for a fall internship
- Second week of classes, 9/13–9/19: Instructor permission required to add any course online; students may still drop courses
- Wednesday, 9/20: Course withdrawal period begins
Review your Roster
Is there someone on your course roster who isn’t coming to class, or is someone attending your class who isn’t the list?
Help us to help your students by telling us about discrepancies now. All faculty should log in to eCommon to review their course roster(s). eCommon rosters are updated in real time, so you always know when students are adding and dropping your courses. Canvas rosters are not updated in real time!
When a student doesn’t meet the requirements for a course or the course is full, they may ask for permission to register.
Use the Granting Registration Permissions chart to determine which permissions you can grant. Bear in mind that students may need permission from more than one person if there are multiple restrictions for a course.
What are the steps?
- A student will request your permission to join a course.
- Use the chart to confirm that you can grant the permission they’ve requested.
- If you grant the permission(s), notify your appropriate Department Assistant.
- The Department Assistant will apply the permission(s) to the student’s account and notify you and the student, directing the student to register online.
- The course is not automatically added to their schedule. Once the student receives this email, it is their responsibility to register for the course.
Waitlists for fall courses are no longer in effect the Friday before classes start at 5:00 pm. After this, students may register for open seats in courses on a first-come, first-served basis.
Please review the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act information and complete the FERPA tutorial. It’s a good practice to begin every semester reacquainting yourself with FERPA.