Welcome to Spring 2016
Happy New Year and welcome to the Spring 2016 semester! The Office of the Registrar is here to help you help your students. Whether you need to verify a student’s schedule, reserve a classroom, or grant a registration permission, we’ve got answers!
Also, check out the Registrar website! It’s a great resource where you can find Registrar policies, forms, instructions, calendars, and the final exam schedule.
When a student doesn’t meet the requirements for a course, or the course is full, they may ask for permission to register for that course.
Who can grant registration permissions?
Review the Granting Registration Permissions chart to determine which permissions you can grant. Bear in mind that students may need permission from more than one person, if there are multiple restrictions for a course.
What are the steps?
- A student will request your permission to join a course.
- Use the Granting Registration Permissions chart to confirm that you can grant the permission they’ve requested.
- If you grant the permission, notify your appropriate Department Assistant via email. (Department Assistant information can be found in the Granting Registration Permissions instructions.)
- The Department Assistant will apply the permission to the student’s account and notify you and the student via email. This email will direct the student to register online or in-person, depending on whether it’s restricted or unrestricted add/drop.
- Once the student receives this email, it is their responsibility to register for the course – it is not automatically added to their schedule.
See the Instructions for Granting Registration Permissions for more details.
It bears repeating that we all have a legal responsibility to keep our students’ academic records private.
Dates to Remember:
Jan 11: First Day of Classes
Jan 11–18: Unrestricted Add/Drop
Jan 19–26: Restricted Add/Drop
Feb 1: Spring 2016 Graduation Apps Due
Unrestricted vs. Restricted Add/Drop
Unrestricted Add/Drop (Jan. 11–18): All students may add and drop courses freely online.
Restricted Add/Drop (Jan. 19–Jan. 26): Students must have instructor permission applied to their accounts to add any course online. Students may drop courses freely online.
Review Your Class Roster
Log in to eCommon to review your roster. This is the only official, accurate roster. It’s updated in real-time, so you always know when students are adding and dropping your courses.
Is there a student on your list who isn’t coming to class, or a student coming to class missing from the list? Tell us!
Remember, this is the roster of students you will have to grade at the end of the term. Help us to help your students by correcting all discrepancies now.