The Registrar’s Office is delighted to welcome you—or welcome you back—to Emerson for the Fall 2016 semester. We’re here to help you no matter how you serve students. Whether you need to verify a student’s schedule, reserve a classroom or grant a registration permission, we’ve got answers!
The Registrar website is a great resource where you can find Registrar policies, forms, instructions, and calendars.
Dates to Remember
- Sep. 7: First Day of Classes
- Sep. 7–13: Unrestricted Add/Drop. All students may add and drop courses freely online.
- Sep. 13: Last Day to Register for a Fall Internship
- Sep. 14–20: Restricted Add/Drop. Students must have instructor permission applied to their accounts to add any course online. Students may still drop course.
- Sep. 21: Course Withdrawal Period Begins
When a student doesn’t meet the requirements for a course, or the course is full, they may ask for permission to register for that course.
Review the Granting Registration Permissions chart to determine which permissions you can grant. Bear in mind that students may need permission from more than one person if there are multiple restrictions for a course.
What are the steps?
- A student will request your permission to join a course.
- Use the Granting Registration Permissions chart to confirm that you can grant the permission they’ve requested.
- If you grant the permission, notify your appropriate Department Assistant via email.
- The Department Assistant will apply the permission to the student’s account and notify you and the student via email. This email will direct the student to register online.
- Once the student receives this email, it is their responsibility to register for the course—it is not automatically added to their schedule.
See the instructions for Granting Registration Permissions for more details.
Waitlists for Fall 2016 will no longer be active as of 5:00 p.m., September 2nd. Students may register for open seats in courses on a first-come, first-served basis.
Please review the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act information and complete the FERPA tutorial. It’s a good practice to begin every semester reacquainting yourself with FERPA.
- Fall Academic Calendar
- Granting Registration Permissions
- Class Lists and Office Hours
- Using DegreeWorks
Review your Roster
All faculty should log in to eCommon to review their course roster(s). eCommon rosters are updated in realtime, so you always know when students are adding and dropping your courses. Canvas rosters are not updated in realtime!
Is there someone on your list who isn’t coming to class, or is someone attending your class who isn’t the list? Tell us!
This is the roster of students you will have to grade at the end of the term. Help us to help your students by correcting all discrepancies now.